If you are starting a website, the first thought you will get is, what domain should I buy? You fix a domain name, and then you check for the availability of your domain name, but it is already assigned to someone. Well, now that depends upon what domain extension you are choosing. You can go with .com, .net, .info, .org and there is bunch of them. But what exactly are these domain extensions? Have you ever thought of it? Let’s discuss about domain name extensions in details. You can find more about domain names here.
Domain extension is the extension or suffix which is attached after your domain and is used to categorize your website or domain. For example “thehappylearning.com“, the later part of the domain “.com” is called as domain extension. The domain extensions were created to categorized different website but that went wrong all together. Today, anyone can buy any domain extension. So, we can no more categorize any website on its domain extension.
Domain extensions such as .com, .net, .info, .org are Top level domains. But again this categorizes further into Open and Closed TLDs. Open top-level domain name means anyone can register for it. Open TLDs are often called as Unrestricted domains. Closed or restricted domains are such, which anyone cannot register. The registrants have to produce necessary information to register for closed TLD. Example of Closed TLD is “.travel”, “.gov”, or “.edu”.
What Is The Actual Meaning Of Domain Extensions?
- .com : “.com” extension was supposed to be used by commercial businesses. This is unrestricted domain. That means anyone can register a domain with “.com” as an extension. “.com” is the most popular domain extension of them all.
- .net : This is the second most popular domain extension. “.net” was supposed to used by companies such as network related or Internet Service Providers. But, again this is also unrestricted domain extension. Anyone can register for it.
- .org : “.org” is supposed to be use by non-profit organizations. And today also, many non-profit organisations are registered using “.org” extension.
- .info : “.info” is among the most popular domain extension after “.com”. “.info” can be used by information sharing websites such as public forums, blogs or any informative websites.
- .edu : “.edu” is used by schools or universities. This falls under the category of restricted domain extension. A school or university which provides a degree courses can only register for this domain extension. Before registering for the domain extension the organization has to produce necessary documents.
- .mobi : “.mobi” domain extension is used for mobile related websites or mobile apps. This can be used as an indicator for mobile friendly websites.
Country Specific Domain Extensions
You may have seen the domain extensions such as “.in”, “.ly”, “.ca”, “.pk”. These are the domain extensions assigned country wise. It is used to identify a website on the basis of the country, where it belongs. Every country has a set of rules, which defines who can register for their country specific domain extensions. A country may only allow its citizens to register for its specific domain extension.
You may have seen “.ly” domain extension, that belongs to Libya. You have seen this domain extension in “bit.ly” which is a url shortening website. Libya allows anyone to register with “.ly” extensions, but there are again some terms and conditions.
There are some disadvantage of country specific domain extensions. Your domain with your country extension may get banned anytime in other country. Yes, this might happen if two countries are having some tension. If you are a eCommerce website or an online retailer you business might get hamper. Other than this there is not such big difference. Anyways, today is not as such difference between domain extensions.
Hope you have liked the article. Do let us know in the comment section below how you have liked the article. And as always we are always open for questions.