Spam email is an email sent in large quantity to intended or unintended user for the purpose of advertisement. Spam is also called as junk email. Email is the most cost-effective medium of reaching to the people. You can read here what exactly is Email. This leads advertisers to advertise their product in very less cost by sending emails to everyone they got on list. They do not target any specific user. Even 80% of the emails are not been sent to a valid email address. So, spam email is an advertisement email sent to people in very large quantity.
How Does All This Works?
Spamming mainly works on the email list, the spammers have. Spammers harvest your email address from websites like forums, free content downloading sites or even social media. They create a database of emails. Then whenever a product is to be advertised they use this email list. The email list can also be sold to a third-party. Many a times spammer’s intention is not bad and the purpose is only to advertise the product. But, there are chances when spam emails are sent to trap you.
While advertising is the name given to spam concept, many other things are hidden behind. Spam email may contain malicious links, viruses, trojans or even executable files. The malicious links in the emails may lead you to an unintended site like a porn site. The virus or trojan is sent so that it should get installed on your machine and your machine should become a zombie which becomes next email sending machines. This is kind of a cyber attach where the normal user’s machine is attacked it is transformed in to a zombie who sends emails in large quantity.
Spammers always don’t have your email addresses. They target a domain and predict the common usernames on that domain. The sender in spam emails is normally hidden or falsified. This is called as Email Spoofing. In email spoofing the source of the email is masked with other address.
How to Identify If A Email Is Spam
Identifying if an email is spam or not is not easy because many times the information is hidden. But here are some ways by which you can identify spam email :
- Always check email of the sender . See if it feels genuine to you. The spam email is normally not sent from a username which is very common. The username might be jumbled characters. For example, “email@example.com”. We don’t send you spam emails, the address was for example. So if you find the email id suspicious, just ignore it or delete it.
- The spam email would normally not fall into your inbox but will be redirected to your spam or junk folder. Don’t go there and click on that email.
- Check the spelling of the sender. The email might look as a genuine but it’s not. Lately users were getting email from “icicici” domain name which is very similar to “icici” bank. This are phishing email and may lead you to a malicious website.
Normally the email service provider has filters installed on the server to filter out the spam emails and genuine emails. The filters work on patterns. It compares the incoming email with a pattern stored in its database and on the result of comparison they email is forwarded to user’s inbox.
How To Save Your Self From Spam Emails
- Use antivirus or enable firewall on your computer so that the attackers won’t reach your computer.
- Always check the sender of email. If you feel it suspicious just delete it.
- Do not leave your genuine or real email addresses on open websites like public forums. They are the main source of email harvesting.
- Do not leave your email address on free content downloading sites.
- Use a disposable email address for the public websites. So if you are attacked on that email just dispose it.
- If you are sending email to large audience, keep everyone in BCC. So that other people’s emails will not be compromised.
- Be careful while enabling your auto replies. Auto replies verifies existence of your email address.
- Do not click on any link if you feel the email is suspicious. You might get into unwanted danger.
- If you are getting more mails than expected feel free to raise a complaint to your email service provider.
We have explained you what a spam email is, how does it work and how to avoid it. Now it’s totally your responsibility to avoid yourself from unwanted danger.
Feel free to add comments down below and freely ask your questions.